HFHS Logo

HUNTINGDONSHIRE
FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

Registered Charity Number 800335

Huntingdonshire Genealogy Links

Huntingdonshire Parishes - Elton

 

Brief Description:

ELTON, a parish in the hundred of NORMAN-CROSS, county of HUNTINGDON, 4¾ miles (N.E.) from Oundle, containing 785 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 23.9.2., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of University College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has portions in the decorated, with insertions in the later, English style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A free school is endowed with between 40 and 50 per annum.

This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"
Hundred:
NORMAN CROSS
Registration District:
The parish of Elton was originally the Oundle Registration District from 1st July 1837. Subsequently, it became part of the sub-District of Fotheringhay. It was later transferred to the Peterborough District.

From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry Office, but the births and burial records were retained by Peterborough.

First Appearance of Name:
Charter - 972-92.
Available Bookstall items:

1841 Census
1851 Census
1891 Census

Links:

GENUKI Huntingdonshire - Elton
Genweb Huntingdonshire War Memorial


Click here to return to previous page

Last Updated on: 29 November 2001
©2000-. Huntingdonshire Family History Society.