HFHS Logo

HUNTINGDONSHIRE
FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

Registered Charity Number 800335

Huntingdonshire Genealogy Links

Huntingdonshire Parishes - Denton

 

Brief Description:

DENTON, a parish in the hundred of NORMAN-CROSS, county of HUNTINGDON, 1¾ miles (S.W.) from Stilton, containing 90 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 5.13.6½, and in the patronage of the Executors of the late Captain Wells, R.N. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was partly rebuilt in 1665 by Sir John Cotton. Sir Robert Bruce Cotton, Bart., a celebrated antiquary, who manuscripts, called the Cottonian Manuscripts, are now in the British Museum, was born here in 1570.

This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"
Hundred:
NORMAN CROSS
Registration District:
Denton was originally in the Peterborough Registration District of Northamptonshire from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it was transferred to the Stilton sub-District of Huntingdonshire. It was later transferred to the Peterborough District.

From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry Office, but the births and burial records were retained by Peterborough.

First Appearance of Name:
Charter - 972-92.
Available Bookstall items:

1841 Census
1851 Census
1891 Census
Parish Registers

Links:

GENUKI Huntingdonshire - Denton


Click here to return to previous page

Last Updated on: 29 November 2001
©2000-. Huntingdonshire Family History Society.