HFHS Logo

HUNTINGDONSHIRE
FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY

Registered Charity Number 800335

Huntingdonshire Genealogy Links

Huntingdonshire Parishes - Chesterton

 

Brief Description:

CHESTERTON, a parish in the hundred of NORMAN-CROSS, county of HUNTINGDON, 4½ miles (N.N.W.) from Stilton, containing 95 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Huntingdon, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 17.3.4., and in the patronage of the Earl of Aboyne. church, dedicated to St. Michael, is principally in the early style of English architecture. Midway between this and Castor is the site of Durobrivæ, the fort of which was placed on the Huntingdonshire side 0f the river Nene; and at Castle field is a large tract enclosed by a ditch and rampart, with the Roman road Ermin-street running through it obliquely. On making a turnpike road across the site of the ancient city of Durobrivæ, several stone coffins, urns, and coins, were dug Up; and by the side of the high road near this place, in 1754, was found a coffin of yellowish stone, six feet two inches long, within which were a skeleton, three glass lachrymatories, some coins, and scraps of white wood inscribed with Greek and Roman letters.

This extract is from "Samuel Lewis Topographical Gazeetter - 1831"
Hundred:
NORMAN CROSS
Registration District:
Chesterton was originally in the Peterbrough Registration District of Northamptonshire from 1st July 1837. Subsequently it was transferred to the Stilton sub-District of Huntingdonshire. It was later transferred back to the Peterborough District.

From 1st April 1998, marriage records were transferred to the Huntingdon Registry Office, but the births and burial records were retained by Peterborough.

First Appearance of Name:
Charter - 955
Available Bookstall items:

1841 Census
1851 Census
1891 Census

Links:

GENUKI Huntingdonshire - Chesterton


Click here to return to previous page

Last Updated on: 29 November 2001
©2000-. Huntingdonshire Family History Society.